Sunday, January 11, 2009

200 Reviews & Counting



Can you believe another 100 blog entries, 100 reviews has passed?

When I reached the 100 review mark I considered this blog a failure. I was unhappy because there were so many movies I hadn't written about at the time. So many celebrated directors and movie stars I had yet to discuss. It upset me. One of the reasons I stopped writing on amazon.com was because I wanted to write about what I wanted to write about and not worry if amazon had it as part of their catalogue or not.

After that I had made a decision about the direction I was going to take this blog. Up until that point 90% of the reviews on here concerned modern movies. I only reviewed older titles as part of my "Masterpiece Film Series". But this wasn't satisfactory to me. I get the most pleasure writing about movies I love. I enjoy discussing older films and great directors, not the latest comic book movie or the latest movie to feature a singer turned actor. I decided I was going to devote more time to reviewing films made by director I admire and focus more on older titles. Sure I've reviewed some new releases, I never meant to stop, just limit the amount. As a result, I'm no longer discouraged.

Within my last 100 reviews I've discussed the work of Istvan Szabo, Federico Fellini, Robert Bresson and Werner Herzog. I'm also pleased to say I've reviewed more silent films. I've written about a pair of Greta Garbo movies and wrote a review for D.W. Griffith's "Broken Blossoms". I have also included the great silent comedies. Harold Lloyd in "Safety Last" was added to my "Masterpiece Film Series". I've written about Laurel & Hardy and even Harry Langdon. And expect more on the way! Lots more in fact.

This doesn't mean the blog is perfect. Of course not. But I'm in a better position than I was before. At that time I hadn't even written reviews for "Casablanca" and "Citizen Kane". There is still a lot of work to do. I'm aware of that. I still need to write reviews for Akira Kurosawa, Jean-Luc Godard, Francois Truffaut, Billy Wilder, Ernst Lubitsch, Preston Sturges, Buster Keaton and Yasujiro Ozu. By the time this blog reaches 300 reviews I hope to accomplish that goal. Because I have decided to spend even more time on the classics. Don't worry, for my readers who only like to watch modern movies, every once in a while I'll throw something your way or I'll continue to do what I've been doing. If it is a modern movie it will be the work of a great director. The more classic movies I write about, the happier I am.

I'd now like to address some issues readers have brought to my attention. One of the main concerns readers have is, why don't I allow comments on my reviews. You see, the reason I stopped writing reviews on amazon and started this blog was because I didn't like the competition. Amazon started given reviewers a ranking number, then people could vote if they thought a review was helpful or not and finally they started to allow comments. I don't write reviews to compete with other people. I write for the most selfish of reasons; to please myself. I hope to share whatever limited knowledge I have about movies with others. Introduce you to new stars and titles you may not have previously heard of or got around to watching. I wasn't after people's votes. Though, I did become a "top reviewer" on amazon.

As for the comments, the reason I don't allow them is because I have rarely heard from someone that had something constructive to say. Usually it is the people who hate me who take the time to write to me. People who take the time out of their day to write to me mostly always had something negative to say. Usually their comments were filled with obscenities. I didn't like a Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler movie and as a result, naturally I know nothing about movies and should get cancer and die. I've offered some samples of comments people left me on amazon. I won't include their names, just their comments.

This one was for my review of Francis Ford Coppola's "Youth Without Youth", which I liked but complained the movie gets a bit confusing and could have used some rewrites. Someone wrote to me "you sound easily confused". A personal attack against and nothing constructive to say about the movie or what I wrote specifically.

This one was for "Goodbye Dragon Inn" which I didn't like but explained it wasn't because it was an experimental film. I offered some examples of experimental films I like. The commentor took my quote and added their own brief comment: "I know what some of you are thinking. I just don't like "experimental" films, but, you're wrong. Yes, it is true I prefer more "classical" structured films although I have no problem with such movies as "Blue Velvet", "Mulholland Dr.", "Persona", "Partner" or films by Yasujiro Ozu or Theo Angelopoulos." This is always such a sad defense." Again a personal attack. But what exactly is my sad defense? Was I wrong about those films being experimental? Why didn't the person offer a more intelligent response? How can I discuss something with you when your sole aim is to belittle me?

But the thing that really annoys me is when people ask me why did I give a movie the amount of stars I did. That drives me up the wall. On amazon they worked with a five star system. This, I admit, confused me. I wasn't sure how to rate a movie. It was too many stars for me. I prefer the four star system which I use on here. Here are some comments people had for me:

"Au Hasard Balthazar" (I gave it *** 1\2) - "How do you give this 3 stars, with what you've written? You've written a five star review and give it three stars? Makes absolutely no sense. And you're a "top" reviewer????"

"Lemon Drop Kid" (I gave it ***) - "If it's one of Hope's best films, why only three stars? Or don't you like Hope? In which case even one of his better films is worth only three stars to you."

"All About Eve" (***) - "With that glowing review you posted, I'm having a hard time figuring out why you rewarded it with only 3 stars?!"

No one disagrees with what I've written (at least they didn't express it) just the stars I gave something. Who cares! Was I right about the movie? Was it good or bad? These type of comments don't start a discussion they just start a headache for me.

The other example is when I gave something a rating and someone wants to know why. Did you read the review? That was my justification. My reviews aren't as simple as "I like this". I explain what it is I like. I'm telling you why I gave something a high or low rating. Anything else I add will just be an extension of what I've already written.

So, while some of you may like the idea of being able to give my reviews comments, I think it is a very, very, very bad idea. After I write about something what more can I say? What more can you ask me? And as I've shown, I didn't get comments which could start as discussion. I just get personal insults and people wondering why I gave something a certain amount of stars. And the simple, hard, blunt truth is, because of the comments I normally get, I'm not interested to hear what people have to say. I have a very quick temper. If I get a bunch of asinine remarks my blood pressure will start to go up.

I personally like the arrangement I have now. You can e-mail me with comments. I like my reviews to stand alone.

As for what to expect what these next 100 reviews, watch out for more reviews of silent films, international films and classic b&w Hollywood movies. Modern movies have their place, just not on my blog.

Thanks to everyone who reads my blog and finds it helpful. Please don't let my remarks about comments discourage you. As long as you keep it civil feel free to e-mail me. I won't bite. But if it is negative and filled with four letter words, how do you expect me to respond?