Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Top Ten Films Of The 1920s

I've been sort of postponing this list. This is my final list. I will not make a list of the best films pre-1920, mostly because I haven't seen many and secondly, the films I have seen are primarily comedies. And that was a problem I had with this list. Many of the films of the 1920s which I love most are comedies, but, I didn't want this list to turn into a "top ten comedy" list. So I had to chose some more serious films. Some choices came extremely easy for me, because there are a handful of serious films which I do admire greatly, other choices were more difficult because choosing one meant leaving another off the list.

With that being said I'd also like to point something out. These list that I have made are not a national consensus. When I write about the best films of a decade I'm not reciting what the most acclaimed films of the decade were. Though sometimes my choices do reflect that. My favorite film of the 1930s is "Gone With the Wind" (1939), by no means an obscure title. However these list deal with my personal favorite films and as a result I might throw serious film buffs for a loop with some of my choices. Many times I will mention films that are not generally accepted as defining an era. Some of my choices are not very well remembered. But that's what separates true film lovers from the casual joe. We know these movies.

As these lists come to an end I must say I am happy that my final lists were from decades I enjoy the most. I've always said my favorite films are from the 1920s-1940s. My favorite decade is the 1930s. To me, by the time of the 30s, Hollywood had the glitz and glamour we often associate with it. The star system was coming in place. While there were definitely stars of the silent era, I find Hollywood to be a little rough around the edges. The glamour wasn't quite there. Hollywood was still in the learning stages.

Of course great films were being made and great movie stars were born. Hopefully I've mentioned some of those great films. But as I said in my opening paragraph, it was the silent clowns which inspired me most. I remember when I was very young, before I was old enough to go to school, how I would watch Charlie Chaplin and Harold Lloyd. I didn't even fully realize these were silent films. I couldn't read at the time, so the inter-titles were completely useless to me, but it didn't matter. I was still able to follow the stories and laugh.

It wasn't until I got older, probably into my teens, that I started to watch the more dramatic silent films, though I did watch Greta Garbo when I was younger. My grandmother loved her films. It was in my teens though I first saw Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" (1927) and "Battleship Potemkin" (1925). I was truly amazed. In some ways I regret seeing those films. Never again can I go back to the same state of mind. There can never be another "first viewing experience". I can recall the great excitement I felt after watching those movies. They were so powerful even to a teenager.

I find most people don't like silent films. In my years as a film student in college I never discussed one silent film with a fellow student. I never heard a student mention a single title. But silent films should be appreciated. In some ways I can understand the reluctance to watch them. Younger viewers may have the notion these films are slow and boring. How on Earth can they be expect to watch a film with no sound. But I have found that when it is a truly great film, the emotion of the story will carry you through. It is for reasons such as this I generally avoid discussing movies with people. I like dramatically different things then most. I've never met someone who has seen all the films I have.

With every list I leave off from great titles and try to make up for it in the runner's up list and often even that is not enough. The 1920s is no exception. But I want to clear something. If a title is not on my list please don't assume I don't like that particular title or it is not worth seeing. If I could go back in time I would make several changes to all of these list. I sometimes simply forget or overlook certain films. For this list I have left off King Vidor's "The Big Parade" (1925). It is NOT a bad movie. It has war scenes on par with "All Quiet on the Western Front" (1930), my favorite of the early war films. You should see that movie. I only left it off because I decided to select another Vidor title, one of my favorite films ever made, "The Crowd" (1928). I have also left off Cecil B. Demille. But that is not because I don't like him or feel his films should not be viewed. I've left off several great works of the German expressionist movement. You should see all of these films. I believe you should view as much as you can. Grab hold of as many films as you can so you can expand your knowledge of the history of cinema.

Here now are my favorite films of the 1920s!

1. BEN-HUR (1927, Dir. Fred Niblo; U.S.) - An easy choice for me. I remember the first time I saw this film (it played on TCM) I sat there stunned. The energy and excitement of the story captivated me. Most people are probably more familiar with the 1959 sound version, but this silent version is just as spectacular. The film stars Ramon Novarro, whom the studios were hoping would turn into the next Valentino, he even reprised his most famous character in "The Sheik Steps Out" (1937), but he didn't quite make it to immortality. It has been rumored this film was one of the most expensive silent films ever made. Supposedly a cast of 125,000 people were employed, as extras. In the famous chariot race scene several of the leading Hollywood stars were used as extras in the crowd including John Barrymore, Douglas Fairbanks, Harold Lloyd, John Gilbert, Lillian Gish and a young (and unknown) Clark Gable. I honestly feel if the Academy Awards had been created one year earlier, this would have won the first Oscar. It is a true masterpiece.

2. THE CROWD (1928, Dir. King Vidor; U.S.) - As I already said, this is one of my favorite movies of all time. I don't think Vidor has ever made a film which has touched me more. I reviewed his film "The Patsy" (1928) with Marion Davies on here before. I remember the first time I saw this film. I felt so deeply for the characters, a young couple (Eleanor Boardman and James Murray) trying to separate themselves from the big crowd as they face heartache. One of these days I'll have to include this in my "Masterpiece Film Series". The film was nominated for 2 Oscars including "Best Director".

3. SUNRISE (1927, Dir. F.W. Murnau; U.S.) - The great German filmmaker's first American film is generally regarded as one of the finest films ever made. A sheer technical and aesthetic accomplishment which was way ahead of its time. It was a box-office flop when first released but it did manage to get 4 Oscar nominations at the first award ceremony including "Best Actress" (Janet Gaynor) and "Best Cinematography". It even won a special Oscar "Best Picture for Unique and Artistic Production". In my review for Murnau's "Faust" (1926) I said it is hard for me to chose one film which would be considered his best. And I still feel that way. Any of his other films could have been on this list.

4. BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN (1925, Dir. Sergei M. Eisenstein; Russia) - Made to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Russian Revolution the film is often seen as the greatest piece of Soviet Propaganda of all time. But what a powerful film is it. Charlie Chaplin once said it was his favorite film. I already mentioned how I felt the first time I saw this film. It was such a visceral experience for me. Eisenstein is believed to be the greatest Russian filmmaker of all time. If you see this movie and enjoy it other classics are "Oktyabr" (1928) and his "Ivan the Terrible" films (1944 & 1958)

5. (TIE) THE GOLD RUSH / THE CIRCUS (1925, Dir. Charlie Chaplin; U.S.) / (1928, Dir. Charlie Chaplin; U.S.) - There was no way I wasn't going to include the work of my favorite comedy filmmaker Charlie Chaplin. For me the greatest thing to happen to the movies since the invention of the camera. These two films are among Chaplin's great films of the silent era. I did leave out "The Kid" (1920) which is also a masterpiece. "The Gold Rush" is the film Chaplin said he wanted to be remembered for. There are two versions of this film. The original silent version and a 1942 re-released edition which features a narration by Chaplin. I have seen both. At one time I preferred the original version. But after watching the 1942 version it has come to grow on me. The film features some of Chaplin's most famous gags such as the dance of the rolls and the shoe eating scene.

"The Circus" is not considered one of Chaplin's great comedies by the general public but every film historian and critic I know, from Peter Bogdanovich, Woody Allen and Robert Osborne have all said the film deserves a greater audience. It does have several great comedy sequences. And perhaps one of Chaplin's most famous endings. It is a very good fast-paced story which has the elements of pathos we associate with him. Movie lovers have to see these films. The film was even given an honorary award at the first Oscars for Chaplin.

6. (TIE) SHERLOCK JR. / THE GENERAL (1924, Dir. Buster Keaton; U.S.) / (1926, Dir. Clyde Bruckman/ Buster Keaton; U.S.) - Two of Keaton's best known comedies. I have written about "Sherlock Jr." in my "Masterpiece Film Series". It is one of Keaton's most innovative films. "The General" is usually the "correct" answer to give when asked what is Keaton's best film. It does have some brilliant comedy sequences. I think I prefer "Sherlock Jr." among the two.

7. (TIE) GRANDMA'S BOY / THE KID BROTHER (1922, Dir. Fred C. Newmeyer; U.S.) / (1927, Dir. Ted Wilde/ J.A. Howe; U.S.) - I know, I know. How dare I not put "Safety Last" (1923) and "The Freshman" (1925) on this list. Who the heck do I think I am to express my own opinion!? I told you these list are my favorites not a national consensus. I chose these two Harold Lloyd comedies because they do something Lloyd's other films don't do. One of the reasons I like Chaplin more than any of the other silent comics is for the exact reason other say they like Keaton more. I like that Chaplin's films have a social message. I love the combination of comedy and pathos. His films are not just about the laughs. I grow more interested in Chaplin's characters and feel he deals with relationships better. These Lloyd comedies are similar. They are funny but they have stories. The plots are more fully developed compared to "Safety Last". I wrote about "Safety Last" on here already. It is a masterpiece but the film is a collection of comedy sequences. These two films have a plot.

8. THE CAT & THE CANARY (1927, Dir. Paul Leni; U.S.) - Paul Leni was one of the great German expressionist filmmakers known for making horror films like "Waxworks" (1924) and "The Man Who Laughs" (1928). I wrote about this movie on amazon and at the time I said this film belongs on a list with "Battleship Potemkin" and "Citizen Kane" (1941) as one of the most innovative early films. "The Cat & the Canary" is one of the early haunted house stories and does a great job creating mood and atmosphere. The camera movements are so advance. Leni was a true artist whom most film fans may not know. He seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle compared to Murnau and Lang. This is a great film. Perhaps I'll review it on here next month in honor of Halloween. The film was remade in 1939 starring Bob Hope. It is considered one of Hope's best comedies.

9. THE BROADWAY MELODY (1929, Dir. Harry Beaumont; U.S.) - The only sound film on this list. The film won the Oscar for "Best Picture" becoming the first musical to win the award. Most people know "The Jazz Singer" (1927) was the first film to use sound but most of the film is silent. "The Broadway Melody" was the first full sound film. I have written about it already on here in my "Masterpiece Film Series". The film, compared to today's standards, is cliche. Two sisters come to New York to make it on Broadway and along the way face hardships. The film starred Anita Page, Bessie Love and Charles King. It features a great score which anyone who has seen "Singin' in the Rain" (1952) can recall. The songs include the title song, "The Wedding of the Painted Doll" and "You Were Meant For Me". The film was nominated for 3 Oscars.

10. GREED (1924, Dir. Erich von Stroheim; U.S.) - Originally Stroheim wanted this film to be 9 and 1\2 hours long. MGM took the film away from him and cut it down to 2 hours. TCM remastered the film and adding photo stills bringing the running time up to 4 hours. That is the version I have seen. It is sad to think that we can never see the Stroheim's vision correctly. The photo stills disrupt the flow of the film. It makes it very difficult to judge the performances and the directing since we are watching photo still most of the time. Still the story is powerful. When we do get to watch the acting it grips us at times. "Greed" was thought to be one of the greatest films of all time. I have no idea if people remember the film today but they should see it. The film's ending is incredible. I would put Stroheim in a class with directors like King Vidor, D.W. Griffith and Demille as one of the greatest filmmakers of the silent era. This is his most epic film. Notice I left his "The Wedding March" (1928) off of this list. "Greed" is the film to see. Oddly enough the film has given us what is probably Zasu Pitts' most famous performance. I don't know if my readers are familiar with her, but I am. She was a comedienne. I found it so odd to see her in Stroheim's films (she is also in "The Wedding March"). Hal Roach once teamed her up with Thelma Todd hoping to make a new comedy team like Laurel & Hardy.
RUNNER'S UP!

1. METROPOLIS (1927, Dir. Fritz Lang; Germany)

2. COQUETTE (1929, Dir. Sam Taylor; U.S.)

3. THE JAZZ SINGER (1927, Dir. Alan Crosland; U.S.)

4. THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929 (1929, Dir. Charles Reisner; U.S.)

5. MYSTERIOUS LADY (1928, Dir. Fred Niblo; U.S.)

6. THE STRONG MAN (1926, Dir. Frank Capra; U.S.)

7. WINGS (1927, Dir. William A. Wellman; U.S.)

8. PANDORA'S BOX (1929, Dir. G.W. Pabst; Germany)

9. WAY DOWN EAST (1920, Dir. D.W. Griffith; U.S.)