Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why I Love Movies

I said at the return to this blog I was going to write more about myself in addition to my reviews. The writing would change from before. I think I have largely kept that promise. The reviews are shorter and more to the point. Why did I like a movie or why didn't I? I've cut down on the biography information concerning directors and stars. And now I want to tell you why I love movies.

This is going to be a list. But pay close attention to what I'm writing now. This list is not a list of my favorite movies, or a list of my favorite directors. This is a list of genres and/or filmmakers who I turn to when I'm down. It is these directors or actors whom I turn to when I have fallen out of love with cinema. These people restore my faith. Now a lot of the people on this list will surprise you. Some won't. Again this is not a list of my favorite films or directors but I list of what makes me happy and keeps me coming back to explore new movies and directors.

The list is in random order.

1. Hayao Miyazaki - Miyazaki is considered by a majority of filmbuffs as one of the greatest animators of all time. I'm not someone who usually defends animation but the work of Mr. Miyazaki and to a large extent Pixar, are the exceptions to the rule. I take such delight in watching Miyazaki's films. He is responsible for directing two of the greatest animated films I have seen; "Spirited Away" (2002) and "Howl's Moving Castle" (2005). I also take great delight in "Porco Rosso" (1992) and "Castle in the Sky" (1986).

I think the reason I love these films so much is because I feel they go back to the most basic elements of a good movie; story. The films take us a wild adventures. And perhaps, somewhere in the back of my mind, they make me feel like a kid again. Though I think Miyazaki's work can be enjoyed by adults just as much as children. In certain cases adults may get more out of his work.

2. Claude Chabrol - I will admit Chabrol is one of my favorite filmmakers. It was the great critic Michael Wilmington who first turned me on to his films after reading some of his reviews. He called Chabrol a great master, and at that time I had never heard of him. But, immediately after viewing my first film I was hooked. I loved the themes Chabrol was interested in and his visual style.

I haven't taken much pleasure in some of Chabrol's more recent works but I still have faith Chabrol will be able to hit one out of the park again. I'm not one of these people who turn their backs on our great filmmakers because it is the "fashionable" thing to do. A lot of people like to say Chabrol's best days are behind him. His peak was in the '70s and he'll never be able to produce work as good as that again. Excuse my language but fuck them!

When I watch a Chabrol film I'm excited. I feel like I'm about to watch something truly important. Something worthwhile not some bullshit mainstream Hollywood movie. To me it is the mark of a true film lover if you watch Chabrol's work. I've seen almost all of his movies so my exploring is coming to an end but I still take great pleasure in re-watching many of his films. Some of my favorites are; "The Flower of Evil" (2003), "Le Boucher" (1972), "Les Biches" (1968), "Le Beau Serge" (1958) and "Wedding in Blood" (1974). In fact I would argue anything with Isabelle Huppert and his ex-wife Stephane Audran are probably worth watching.

3. Val Lewton - Now I said watching Claude Chabrol's films is the mark of a true film lover, I also feel that way about Lewton's movies and "B" films in general. When you explore the work of a diverse number of genres and directors that suggest to me a deep rooted love of film. If you just stick with the superhero movies that suggest bad taste to me.

I wouldn't consider any of Lewton's films really scary at all but the films he produced are terrific examples of style and atmosphere. I've spent a lot of time writing about his work; usually around Halloween time. And I never get bored watching them. Sure I like some more than others but overall Lewton has a pretty impressive track record. There is always something to enjoy when watching his films. One sequence that sticks out.

Among my favorite of Lewton's work; "Cat People" (1942), "Leopard Man" (1943), "I Walked With A Zombie" (1943) and "The Body Snatcher" (1945).

4. Dario Argento - Continuing with the horror theme I have to mention Dario Argento. It was about two years ago that I saw my first Argento film and I haven't looked back since. I've seen a decent number of his work and he still continues to impress me. It was only recently that I reviewed one of his films on here; "Phenomena" (1985) which I called one of his best. He has been one of the most discussed directors on this site.

Now I know some may be shocked at my appreciation for Argento's work. He isn't considered in the same artistic league as Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini or Akira Kurosawa, but, again excuse my language, who the fuck cares! Argento's films are fast moving, wild and exciting. The plot isn't so important in his films as how you feel watching them. And like a Val Lewton movie you will always come away admiring one sequence and taking a strange delight in one of his elaborate death scenes.

My favorites include; "Suspiria" (1977), "Deep Red" (1975), "Opera" (1987), "Inferno" (1980), "Tenebre" (1982) and "Phenomena"

5. Wheeler & Woolsey - I've never made it a secret that comedy is my favorite movie genre. And I have also never hidden the fact that the comedy team of Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey are not my favorite, so why did I put them on this list? Why do I continue to watch their films? The reason is simple. I love movies! I take great pleasure in discovering the forgotten films of the past. Especially the comedies. And Wheeler & Woolsey are largely forgotten by today's standards. While I'm not their number one fan, I don't believe they deserve to be dismissed by film fans.

Whenever I'm down and depressed certain movies by the team can put me in a good mood mostly because of the sheer silliness of the plots. Woolsey is no Bob Hope or Groucho Marx, but, could deliver a one-liner. He comes from the same tradition.

My favorite Wheeler & Woolsey comedy is "Diplomaniacs" (1933) a comedy that can rival the best of the Marx Brothers, believe me! Other favorites include "Peach-O-Reno" (1931) and "Hips, Hips Hooray!" (1934).

6. Laurel & Hardy - Now if I was going to write about Wheeler & Woolsey there was no way I wasn't going to include my favorite comedy team of all time Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. Simply wasn't going to happen!

Watching Laurel & Hardy rank among my earliest childhood memories, before I was old enough to go to school. And that deep appreciation for their brand of comedy has never left me and I hope it never does.

Sometimes I find it hard to explain why the team has had such an impact on me. There is a hint of sentimentality involved, I'll admit that. Watching their comedies takes me back to my childhood as I recall the first time I saw a particular film. And there is also something comfortable in the familiar. I've seen all of the feature films and every one of the sound two reelers as well as a majority of their silent work. So I know the gags and the routines. I can see them coming. But strangely, that's what I like. And it still makes me laugh. Laurel & Hardy became good friends. I could depend on them. I didn't see them as "movie stars" but buddies. There was something about their personas that lended themselves to that kind of familiarity.

My favorite of their feature comedies is a toss-up between "The Devil's Brother" (1934) and "Way Out West" (1937) their most popular film is "Sons of the Desert" (1933) but their "Our Relations" (1936) shouldn't be left behind either. It has some wonderful moments. Of their short films I've always loved "Going Bye-Bye!" (1934) that's the one where a criminal threatens to wrap their legs around their necks (!), "Midnight Patrol" (1933), where they play a couple of policemen (so much for law and order), "County Hospital" (1932) which has the famous sequence with Billy Gilbert hanging outside a hospital window and the great silent comedy "Big Business" (1929).

So there you have a small list of what I turn to when I'm down and out. The things which make me fall in love with movies.