Friday, August 14, 2009

Film Review: Ponyo

"Ponyo" ** (out of ****)

It is so disappointing when the great ones fail. Woody Allen failed earlier this year with "Whatever Works" (2009), Henry Jaglom with "Irene in Time" (2009) and now the master Hayao Miyazaki with "Ponyo" (2009).

Oh how much I looked forward to seeing this movie. Originally I didn't know it was going to be released today but when I found out I immediately changed my plans and decided I simply had to see this.

I've written about Miyazaki on this blog before. I reviewed his "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" (1984) a film which many consider his finest work. In that review I explained how it was Miyazaki that made me realize animation is not just for children. Sometimes animation can appeal to adults.

Hayao Miyazaki makes films which are very complex. The world is not always good vs bad, black & white, sometimes there is gray. His characters, though often children, are usually placed in realistic dilemmas. His films often have powerful messages, usually about nature.

And then there is "Ponyo". Ponyo is a fish (voiced in the English version by Noah Cyrus) that desperately wants to transform into a human. Her father, Fujimoto (Liam Neeson), was once a human but now has become some sort of water wizard. Though he still looks human. How did he transform? What made him even want to? None of that is explained. How is he able to have fish for children? Who knows, who cares! Right? At least that's what Miyzaki wants me to think to myself.

Fujimoto warns Ponyo to watch out for humans. They abuse nature and the ocean. They are disrupting the balance of nature by throwing garbage and toxic chemicals into the ocean. But none of that matters to Ponyo.

On land we meet Sosuke (Frankie Jonas) and his mother, Jill (Tina Fey). Sosuke is only 5 years old and has a great love for the water, his father, Koicki (Matt Damon) is a sea captain. Their house is on a cliff over looking the sea. It is here Sosuke first meets Ponyo. Susuke wants to keep Ponyo as a pet but Fujimoto will not allow this and makes every attempt to get back his daughter.

Eventually is it revealed that Ponyo loves Sosuke. And wants to lead the life of a human so she can be with him. After Ponyo finds herself fooling around with her father's magic potions she turns human and looks for Sosuke.

A lot of this might sound very familiar to you. Miyazaki has stated the film was inspired by Disney's "The Little Mermaid" (1989) and the classic fairytale.

My biggest problem with "Ponyo" is the story's structure. I wanted to learn the background story of Fujimoto. How did he become the way he is? Who put him in charge of the ocean? Instead the film almost seems to be throwing us into the story in mid-sentence. It took me a while to figure out exactly what is going on and how everyone is related to each other. Why couldn't Miyazaki offer a brief introduction explaining all of this. It would also be useful because then the audience can immediately understand the dramatic implications of everything. If I was confused how is a 5 year old going to react?

Miyazaki is known for making his films the old fashion way. Paper and pencil. No computer effects. This is not Pixar with its digital animation. Many times Miyazaki's films look very realistic. Objects seems to jump out at you because of his wonderful use of color patterns. Surprisingly here in "Ponyo" the animation doesn't seem to have the same depth. It looks too washed over.

I wouldn't be surprised if children didn't like Miyazaki's films. I have a 5 year old niece and she doesn't like Miyazaki. She saw one of his films and wasn't impressed. She only knows him because I like him. But that's what I like about his work. He is responsible for two of the greatest animated films I have ever seen; "Howl's Moving Castle" (2005), my all time favorite. I even placed it on my "top ten" list of the year and "Spirited Away" (2002). "Ponyo" doesn't seem as thought provoking to me. I don't think parents are going to enjoy this. It will have a very limited appeal to children. Is it just me or does it look like Disney, which is releasing this film, tried to make the poster resemble their "Finding Nemo" (2003)? A much more successful film about fishes.

As I said, it was Miyazaki who made me realize the power of animation. "Ponyo" is a giant step backwards. What makes all of this so sad is that there are rumors this will be the master's final film. I truly hope the old master has one more story to tell. I'd hate for this minor and disappointing film to be his final statement.

If you've never seen a Hayao Miyazaki film before, please don't start here. Watch "Howl's Moving Castle", "Spirited Away", "Princess Mononoke" (1997) or "Nausicaa". Adults I think will be most impressed with these films. If you want something for the children show them "Kiki's Delivery Service" (1989). Just stay away from "Ponyo".