Saturday, August 8, 2009

Film Review: Two Lovers



"Two Lovers" *** 1\2 (out of ****)

Sometimes you walk into a movie and aren't quite sure what to expect. But you find more than you bargained for. "Two Lovers" (2009) is such a film.

Prior to seeing "Two Lovers" I thought I'd like it. I enjoy independent films and I think Joaquin Phoenix is one of the best actors of his generation along with Sean Penn.

I complained in my last review, "Irene in Time" (2009), that the film didn't create characters an audience could relate to. It didn't provide observations on human behavior and give us any insight. Here is a movie which manages to get nearly every gesture correct. Watching this film made me feel as if I wasn't watching a movie or seeing a performance. I was viewing myself on-screen. That ladies and gentleman is what you call good acting. That the cast is able to resonate so deeply with the audience and touch us on such a profound level speaks volumes of what Phoenix, Paltrow and Vinessa Shaw are doing on-screen. It is an acting lesson for beginners. I haven't seen a performance touch me this much all year since I saw Dustin Hoffman in "Last Chance Harvey" (2009). Where Hoffman too is giving out free acting lessons. That film didn't deserve an actor of his caliber, but, he makes the whole thing work. In "Two Lovers" Joaquin Phoenix brings everything together.

Phoenix plays Leonard Kraditor. A man who has recently broken up with his fiancee. The event was so emotional for him he attempted suicide. Now he lives with his parents; Reuben (Moni Moshonov) and Ruth (Isabella Rossellini), who treat him like a child, pretending to give him space. They watch his every move fearful he might go off the deep end again.

Reuben owns a dry cleaners, where Leonard works, and is merging with Michael Cohen (Bob Ari). Reuben and Ruth would like Leonard to date Mr. Cohen's daughter, Sandra (Shaw). But Leonard has eyes for his neighbor, Michelle (Paltrow). Michelle is wild and exciting. Sandra seems like the safe bet, it's his parent's choice. Who wants to go out with their parent's choice?

As soon as Leonard met Michelle I was able to relate. I've known many "Michelle"s in my life. Women I thought were perfect. Possessed every detail I wanted, but, somehow were just out of my reach. Every move Leonard makes is believable. His approach and dilemma is one every man can relate to. Sandra is a perfectly nice woman. But every man always wonders what else is out there. And once you meet Michelle, you know that is what you've been searching for.

But then Michelle drops a bomb on Leonard. She is dating a married man, Ronald (Elias Koteas). I know too how that feels. It feels as if someone punched you in the chest and took all the air out of you. Phoenix is able to reflect that on his face. He doesn't say a word during the moment, but, I felt his heartache.

"Two Lovers" is a film about second choices. About making the safe bet. Doing what others think will make you happy, instead of what will actually bring happiness to you. It is a movie about life. We've all made those decisions at one point in our life. We've all settled. But how many movies portray it as realistic as this?

I don't know if Phoenix will get nominated for an Oscar. I doubt it. The film opened in February, and in Hollywood time, the film midas well have been made in 1932. No one will remember it. It well get lost in the shuffle of all the December releases. The same thing I felt happened to Ben Kingsley in "Elegy" (2008). "Two Lovers" opened too soon. Still, if Phoenix gets the nomination it is well deserved. I can only hope Phoenix is not serious when he says he wants to retire from acting to pursue a career as a rap star. If this does turn out to be his last performance, at least he goes out on top, giving one of his finest performances. Few actors are as versatile as him. He can appear in big budget Hollywood productions such as "Gladiator" (2000) and smaller films such as this and "Quills" (2000).

The film was directed by James Gray, who also co-wrote the script with Richard Menello. I haven't seen Mr. Gray's previous films. He worked with Phoenix on "We Own the Night" (2007) and directed "The Yards" (2000). If his other films are as astute as this, I'm really missing out on something. The film was even nominated for the palme d'or at the Cannes Film Festival.

And while I'm throwing all this praise at Phoenix, the ladies should get their due credit as well. Gwyneth Paltrow makes the character believable. I saw various women I've know through the years in her. Sometimes she gets a bad reputation as being a snob in the press but I personally like her. She is a fine actress. Like Phoenix she is usually reliable to turn in a good performance. I loved "Possession" (2002) when I first saw it and I'm not ashamed to admit it. She was also terrific in "Proof" (2005).

Shaw, who will be a new face for some viewers, holds her own here against these two heavyweights. She will have a big career ahead of her just as long as she is smart about the roles she accepts.

As for the film's ending I don't think it could have been more perfect. It couldn't have ended any other way. In the long term though I doesn't really resolve anything. If a sequel were made to this movie following the characters 10 years from now, I still think Leonard would one day find himself in the same situation because he doesn't make his choice with his heart. But as I said, that is life. And that makes "Two Lovers" a real treasure to watch and learn from.