Saturday, June 14, 2008

In Memory: Tim Russert


Tim Russert didn't direct movies. He wasn't a screenwriter or a producer or even an actor. He was a journalist. And a damn good one!

Before I received my BA in film and video at Columbia College my original intention was to major in journalism. I took several classes. Everyday, even to this very day, I read the newspaper religiously. Both Chicago papers, the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today...ect. I have great respect for the profession. And one of the reasons I have great respect for it is because of Tim Russert.

Russert was something rare in the news business. He was neutral. You couldn't tell who Russert was going to vote for or what his stance was on the issues discussed. He merely reported and asked the tough questions. The way a journalist is suppose to.

I remember the first time I sat in a journalism class and what every instructor told the class. No one care what you think! Keep your opinions to yourself. I took those words to heart and I still do. That is why I become very upset when I see what some of these anchors do while reporting the news. Especially lately. You can just tell where they are coming from politically. But Russert was something special. If I ever become a political journalist, Russert was one of my heroes. I wanted to emulate his approach. Be as prepared as he was. He was a pro. No one can do what he did and no one should try.

I never met Tim Russert but hearing about the news of his death, I felt I lost someone close to me. His death was so unexpected. Reports say he showed up for a taping of his show, collapsed and simply died. He was only 58 years old.

Watching "Meet the Press" was for a time a tradition at my house. I would wake up early every Sunday, have a cup a coffee and sit down and watch Russert. For the last two years it has been a bit difficult for me because of my job and the fact I work Sunday mornings. But I would always come home and watch the reruns on MSNBC. Sundays and politics will never be the same. You will be sorely missed Mr. Russert.