Thursday, June 5, 2008

TV Review: Californication (Season 1)

"Californication" **** (out of ****)

I never intended on writing TV reviews for this blog, but this Showtime TV show is an exception. You won't find many more TV reviews on here, so enjoy this one.


"Californication" is my pick for the best show on television. The first season provided me with the most pleasure experience I've had watching the tube. Every year a new chestnuts debuts on cable television that simply takes me away. I remember how much I use to love to watch "Real Time with Bill Maher" and then "Curb Your Enthusiasm" come out and suddenly I found myself switching to Showtime when "Weeds" premiered. All of these shows, during their first seasons, I proclaimed, the best show on television. And now so it is with "Califorication".


But will the show live up to season one. I rarely now, if ever, watch "Weeds". How I could have went from loving a show so intensely, to now, barely caring if it is on, is beyond me. Actually, I know what the show's fatal mistake was/is. "Weeds" wants to become shocking for the sake of being shocking even if the show didn't have to follow in that direction. Once everyone and their brother knew the family secret about mom selling pot, the show started to spin out of control for me. With the first season of "Californication" being so pleasing I came only hope and pray the writers don't start to spin this show out of control.


For those who have never seen this brilliant TV show it follows the life of Hank Moody (David Duchovny), a former New York novelist, now living in LA. He use to live with Karen (Natasche McElhone) and the two had a daughter, Becca (Madeleine Martin). Karen and Hank have been broken up for a while as now Karen plans on getting married to Bill (Damian Young) who has a daughter of his own, Mia (Madeline Zima).


There are some sub-plots on the show dealing with Hank's agent, Charlie Runkle (Evan Handler) and his wife Marcy (Pamela Adlon). Both are friends of Hank and Karen's.


Since moving to LA Hank has not been the same man he was in New York. He has lost feeling for life. He sleeps with woman after woman and drinks like a fish, without ever writing a word. He desperately wants Karen back, and is not shy about telling her just that, even in front of Bill!


So why would I, a 25 years college graduate like a show about a 40-ish year old man in the middle of a mid-life crisis? As sad as this may sound, I can relate to Hank. I think most people can. Life has not amounted to what we thought it once would. Relationships fails, people die, we move to a new city or state hoping the change will be for the better, but in the end nothing happens. Yes, Hank knows a lot of women, but, it doesn't mean a thing if he can't be with the one he loves, Karen. He wants his family to be together again. Everything else is a mere complication.


When the show first aired some may have felt the material was too graphic. There are several nude scenes, with beautiful women stripping bare. But, "Californication" does this for a reason. As Hank engages in these sexual acts, it usually happens while he is drunk or high. It is never done out of love or even I suggest, pleasure. It is merely a thing to do when the buzz wears off. The sex scenes are not sexy at all.


Showtime has decided to pick up the show and second two come be on its way. Filming was postponed after the very sad news that Natasche McElhone's husband passed away after heart complications.


[NOTE: Showtime airs rerun, in anticipation of the season two premiere, weekdays]