Thursday, September 18, 2008

Film Review: The Women



"The Women" ** (out of ****)

Some of my readers may know there is currently a film out in theatres now called "The Women" it stars Meg Ryan, Annette Bening and Debra Messing among others. What some of you may not know is that film is a remake of this film, the original screen adaptation of Clare Boothe Luce's novel. I thought it would be a "cute idea" to review the original at this time.

This 1939 version stars some of MGM's top female stars of the day including Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Paulette Goddard, Joan Fontaine and Virginia Grey. I'm sure a lot of these names mean very little to you, don't worry I'll explain who some of them are. The film was directed by a man who was nicknamed "the women's director", because he was known for his relationship with the women he directed, George Cukor (who was Hungarian).

The plot of the film is rather simple. It is a comedic look at how society women, all of whom pretend to be friends, go around spreading gossip about each other. One day some big news is revealed. Mary Haines (Norma Shearer) is unaware her husband, Stephen (who is never shown on-screen, this is an all female cast) has been cheating on her with a perfume sales clerk, Crystal Allen (Joan Crawford). Which is embarrassing not only because Mary's husband has been cheating but no less with someone not of their social order.

Of all the reviews I've written on here I think this is the one I might get in the most trouble for. I've written negative reviews before but no one writes to me when I say "Hancock" is a bad movie. But with "The Women", a film viewed by some filmbuffs as a "classic" I'm just asking for trouble. But before the mobs come after me with the rope please allow me to explain.

First of all, I love Hollywood films from the 1920s-1940s. I think all the leading actresses in this film are great! I've seen them in countless other films, nearly all of which I think are much better. But "The Women" first of all is too damn long. The running time is 2 hours and 12 minutes (yes! I timed it. Leave me alone). This story doesn't have to be so long. I've seen movies with more plot tell their story in less time. Nearly every character in this film is the same. Now, before you say anything, let me beat you to the punch. But Alex, that was the point. To show how phony all these women are. They are all the same. Point taken. But I didn't find it interesting to watch. I was starting to get a headache listening to the ladies complain so much. And this is coming from someone who lives in a house full of women. Cukor's touch is nowhere to be found. The film feels as if it directed itself. And finally there is a fashion show sequence, shot in color(!), that slows this film down to a halt. It was not needed and if I'm wrong about the necessity of it, did it really have to last so long?

Norma Shearer is the only one who is a little different from the other women. She doesn't go around spreading gossip. That was part of Shearer's screen persona. She usually played the lady, the well dignified woman. Though Shearer was no stranger to making controversial films. Watch her pre-code films such as the 1929 film "Their Own Desire" or her Oscar winning performance in the 1930 film "The Divorcee". For their time these films were bold.

More readers are probably familiar with Joan Crawford, perhaps for all the wrong reasons. Maybe you heard of the book written by her daughter, "Mommie Dearest" or saw the film of the same title starring Faye Dunaway. I hear from a lot of people, especially those my age, that Crawford was a bad actress. Her acting style was campy. When they say this I sit in shock. I always thought of her as a very good actress. Watch her in "Paid", another controversial movie, "Possessed" with Clark Gable or her Oscar winning performance in "Mildred Pierce".

The rest of the cast may be hit or miss. Playing Mary's cousin, Sylvia, the lead gossip is Rosalind Russell. She was in "His Girl Friday" and "Auntie Mame". Paulette Goddard makes her way into the film very late as a woman Mary meets in Reno, as they are waiting for their divorce papers to come through. She was living with Charlie Chaplin and was in two of his films; "Modern Times" and "The Great Dictator". Joan Fontaine plays Peggy, a young woman who is more innocent then the other gossips and just seems to be following in their footsteps to fit in. She was in a Bob Hope movie "Casanova's Big Night". And though she doesn't have a big part I had to mention Virginia Grey as Pat, another perfume sales clerk. She has some great lines throwing insults at Crawford. She was in a Cole Porter musical "Born to Dance" she introduced the song "I've Got You Under My Skin".

For all of "The Women's" faults there are some good things about the film. There are two scenes I like very much. One of them involves Mary and her mother (Lucile Watson). The mother comes to visit Mary after she finds out the gossip. Their conversation has a lot of wisdom in it. They speak openly about Mary's situation. You almost wonder how did this get past the censors. The mother tells Mary she should stay with her husband because all men cheat and he doesn't love Crystal plus their is their daughter to think of. Mary tells her she doesn't want her husband under those terms.

Another scene involves Mary and Crystal meeting for the first time. Again it is the dialogue which stands out. Mary tells Crystal to stop seeing her husband but Crystal's response actually surprised me. Crawford tells Shearer, while not using these words, but the message is underneath them, "I'm f*cking your husband. And I'm not going to stop." Can you believe that? Crystal has no shame, she doesn't feel embarrassed being confronted by the wife. Remember this is 1939, society had something called morals back then. Maybe I'm too old-fashion but this scene really shocked me. The censors must have understood what message this sends out.

What is also great about this scene is you can almost feel the hate between these two ladies. I don't think I'm spreading Hollywood gossip when I write this but it was well known in real life Shearer and Crawford hated each other. In the early days they would compete for the same roles causing some jealousy.

But nothing else about the film is worth recommending. Cukor has directed many films. A lot of them are classics like "The Philadelphia Story", "My Fair Lady" and "Dinner at Eight" but "The Women" doesn't deliver on its promise. Of course I realize I'm in the minority on this one but "The Women" doesn't deserve the standing it has among filmbuffs.

A lot of people may think of this as a feminist film. Given the female star power involved, no males in the cast, it was written by two women but the message does not advance women in any way. The message is a woman needs her man, no matter what. Men are immature, they do stupid things but it is up to the woman to behave like the adult and accept their husbands. That does not advance women's rights and proves mother was right after all.