Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Masterpiece Film Series: Casablanca



"Casablanca" **** (out of ****)

It's funny, for a film thought by so many to be one of the all time great Hollywood romances, "Casablanca" should have such strong political overtones (as suppose to undertones). The film is so blatantly political. It makes a strong social commentary on WW2 and America's involvement concerning isolationism. But for most it is the famous lines; "here's looking at you kid" and "we'll always have Paris" or the famous ending scene at the airport that sticks out to most people.

I've seen "Casablanca" several times. First as a child then as a teenager. But I always watched it strictly as a movie fan. I wasn't trying to analyze the film or search for hidden meanings. I would casually watch it and enjoy it. When I was in college we had to watch this film for a class. That was the first time I actually "studied" the film. I have seen it a few times since then.

During the viewing in college it all became so clear to me. How political the film is. Imagine what audiences in 1942 thought with the war going on in Europe. Nowadays I can't watch the film and think of it as a romance. It goes beyond that for me. To think of the film as a "love triangle" for me, means to skip over the more interesting aspects of the film.

Humphrey Bogart, as Rick, cements his tough guy image here. His "I stick my neck out for nobody" mentality is a direct relationship to America's isolationism foreign policy. Remember the war started in 1939 when the Germans went into Poland and America didn't get involved until December of 1942 with the invasion of Pearl Harbor. By the time "Casablanca" premiered in 1942, America was still not in the war.

Of course the love triangle of the film seems to be the part of this classic which resonates with most with the public. A love affair cut short because of the Germans entering France. The two never see each other again. Years (or time) goes by. The woman is now a faded memory. It has reshaped his view of the world and his feelings towards women. When one woman ask Rick if they can meet later in the night he tells her, I never makes plans that far ahead. Because of a broken heart he commits himself to no one.

In case you've never seen "Casablanca" before the man I speak of is Rick. The woman is Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman). Isla thought her husband, a Czech freedom fighter, Victor Laszlo (Paul Henreid) was killed by the Nazis. She finds out he was not and tells Rick, just before the two were going to leave together, she can never see him again. Never telling him the true reason why. The two meet again when Isla and Victor come to Casablanca where they are looking for letters of transit. They are to pick them up in Rick's cafe.

"Casablanca" is regarded as one of the great American films of all time but as Roger Ebert always mentions, the public loves "Gone with the Wind" and "Casablanca" but critics always praise "Citizen Kane". As great as "Kane" is even I must admit, I prefer "Wind" and "Casablanca". "Citizen Kane" is noted for its use of the camera and editing, which were ahead of their time. But "Casablanca" I think has much more audience involvement. Which man will Isla choose to be with? Will Rick help Victor? Will the Nazis kill Victor?

Near the end of the film these questions loom largest. I'm often confused by the end in fact. It's not that I don't understand what it is going on. I become emotionally confused. SPOILER ALERT! Does Victor know Isla is going to go by Rick to get the letters? Does she even love Rick anymore? Does Rick know what she is up to? I tend to think Rick realizes Isla doesn't love him anymore. Her heart belongs to Victor but she is willing to sacrifice everything for him. Still, she puts up such a struggle at the airport when she find out about Rick's plans. But then again Rick squarely tells Victor what happened. When we ask ourselves these questions, I think some of the romance dies. Everyone just seems to be lying seeking to get ahead. END SPOILER

"Casablanca" also has one of the greatest cast for a Hollywood film in its era. Supporting roles were given to Claude Rains as a crooked French Captain. Conrad Vedit as a Nazi Major and Peter Lorre and S.Z. Sakall. In fact Rains was even nominated for an Oscar.

But why do I personally like "Casablanca" so much? I think my reason is the same as most. It simply has a great story. That is, above all else, what makes a great film. If you find yourself involved in the story and interested in the fate of the characters then the film has succeeded. You have went along with the characters on their journey.

Plus "Casablanca" is a film I grew up watching. I have a nostalgia for it. It takes me back to my youth. I used to always watch American films from the 30s and 40s when I was younger. "Casabalnca" is in some ways a perfect time capsule of the times. It gets the feeling and the dread of war just right. When the film was going to be released in the U.S. the real Casablanca was invaded by the Nazis.

The film was directed by Michael Curtiz. Here is some fun trivial for you about this film. Although it is generally regarded as an American classic, "Casablanca" has a lot of Hungarian roots. Mr. Curtiz was actually born in Hungary. His birth name was Mihaly (Michael in Hungarian) Kertesz. Peter Lorre was also born in Hungary as was S.Z.Sakall, he plays the waiter. The character's name Victor Laszlo, Laszlo is a Hungarian name and the actor who plays him, Paul Henreid, was born in a part of Italy that was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

I'm not sure how well known Curtiz is to modern audiences. He was actually a good director. Besides this film, which he is probably best known for, he also directed "Mildred Pierce" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy". Curtiz even won the "best director" Oscar that year. The film also won "best picture" and "best screenplay". It was a pretty good year for films in 1942. "Casablanca" went up against "For Whom the Bell Tolls", Ernst Lubitsch's "Heaven Can Wait", the Noel Coward/David Lean collaboration "In Which We Serve" (Lean's first film) and "So Proudly We Hail!".

For it's romance, lively characters and time capsule of the times "Casablanca" will forever be an audience favorite and one of the masterpieces of cinema.