Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Reactions


Every "dog" has its day and at the 81st annual Academy Award ceremony the Oscars went to the "dogs" as "Slumdog Millionaire" walked away with the "Best Picture" Oscar.


Danny Boyle's crowd pleasing, sentimental, audience favorite was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and walked away winning 8. I should mention it was nominated two times in the same category for "Best Song", and there is usually only one winner per category, basically meaning, "Millionaire" won for everything it was nominated for.

Like any Hollywood production, the Oscars followed their script but there were some last minute Oscar surprises, which will either have you jumping for joy or banging your head against the wall in disgust.

As nearly everyone predicted Health Ledger won "Best Supporting Actor" for his role in "The Dark Knight". He was a strong sentimental favorite, especially after news of his death before the film's release. Also as expected Kate Winslet won as Oscar for "Best Actress" in "The Reader". And Penelope Cruz took home the "Best Supporting Actress" award for her work in Woody Allen's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".

Some of the show's surprises were Sean Penn winning "Best Actor". The "Best Actor" category was generally seen as a toss up between Penn and Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler". The Academy decided to make more of a political and social statement in allowing Penn to win his second Oscar.

The "Best Foreign Film" category caused its own surprise as well. Many thought the animated/drama from Israel, "Waltz with Bashir" would win or possibly the French film "The Class" instead the Oscar went to the Japanese film "Okuribito" about a man who loses his job, very timely topic.

Rounding out some of the other winners were of course Mr. Boyle for "Best Director" for "Slumdog Millionaire". The film also won the "Best Original Screenplay" award as well as "Best Editing", "Best Cinematography", "Best Sound","Best Score" and "Best Song".

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", which going into the show has the most Oscar nominations with 13, only won three; "Best Visual Effects", "Best Art Direction" and "Best Make-up". While "WALL.E" won "Best Animated Film" and "Man on Wire" walked off with the "Best Documentary" Oscar.

So now I've basically given you a nice run down of all the winners but what do I really think of the show. Well, I must confess I never watch the Oscars. I haven't watched the show for the last 8 or 9 years. So I can't tell you what I thought of Hugh Jackman as the host or if the musical numbers were good or the production value or if the show ran too long. All I can tell you is my impression of the winners and losers.

This year's Oscar show I think is a pretty good indication of why I don't watch the show. Looking over the winners I'm pretty upset. I didn't like the manipulative "Slumdog Millionaire". I found it too eager and sentimental. I think it is one of the worst "Best Picture" Oscar winners. I found it to be an absolute disgrace that it won any awards. But, I predicted it would win.

Who would have guessed the Oscar's would have turned into a "Slumdog Millionaire" sweep? I honestly didn't see that coming. Why did Hollywood want to celebrate this movie to such a degree? Well, I think I hit the nail on the head in my Oscar prediction. People who watch the show and honestly think the film's of the most quality and artist merit always win will be in for a shock. That's not true! The Academy Awards, like any organization, which is what the Academy is, likes to remain socially relevant. They many times like to make political and social statements. Just because certain actors and actresses may be presented as morons by the press, doesn't mean they don't have opinions and like to be heard. Oscar winners are a nice reflection of what Hollywood thinks. After all, they vote on the winners not us.

So does this year's award show tell us? As I said before "Slumdog Millionaire" won so many Oscars because it was the most "feel good" film of all the nominees. It provided "hope" and "change". Where have I heard that before? Gee, its on the tip of my tongue! Who would have guessed, say 10, 20, years ago such an unAmerican film as "Slumdog Millionaire" would have walked away winning the "Best Picture" Oscar? No Hollywood stars are in it. It takes place in India. Shows us poverty in India. Other than showing us the American influence in other countries, there is no other connection. "Slumdog Millionaire" is a "change" from previous Oscar winners.

I'll always think it was for political and social reasons the film won the award. In our Barack Obama world the Academy wanted to reflect "hope and "change" as well. It is suppose to be a feel good time, even as Washington has just spent 1 trillion dollars. But, hey, this is the new American. "Slumdog Millionaire" represents the new Hollywood.

As for Sean Penn winning the Oscar, I was a bit torn here. I wasn't sure which message the Academy would want to send. A "come back kid" story or a political one. They decided on a political one. A gay marriage bill failed in California inciting some riots and lots of angry in the gay and lesbian community. Hollywood claims to be in support of gay rights. So it was a nice gesture to the community to allow Sean Penn to win the award for "Milk" where he plays an openly gay politician. It was very timely. They even gave "Milk" a "Screenplay" nomination as well. It sends a message to the rest of the world.

Now, I know. Some people reading this are going to say I giving every reason under the sun on why a film won an award other then perhaps it was merely good. But ladies and gentlemen what do you expect? This is a popularity contest. It doesn't make a difference if a movie or performance is good. That's not what the Oscars are really about. It is all about politics and send a message. If you honestly don't think so, I'd like to talk to you about buying a bridge in Brooklyn. But you have to act now! This deal won't last long.

Over all, given the choice of winners I'd say the show was a disappointment. An expected disappointment but a disappointment nonetheless. But, I don't watch the Oscars so I don't get worked up about these things anymore. It's only an award show.
If there was some way I could control the Oscars. I would have loved to see Health Ledger lose the "Best Supporting Actor" award. That would have really warmed my heart. I still think the only reason he won was because of the sad and unfortunate news of his death. I think his win represents a "pity" win. Perhaps the Academy felt they robbed him of an Oscar for his performance in Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain" and wanted to make amends. Heck, they've done it before with other actors. Had he been living I'm curious to know who would have won.
If "Slumdog Millionaire" would have lost that would have also given me great delight. I hated that movie more than words can ever express. Years from now, you mark my words, that movie is going to be considered one of the weaker "Best Picture" winners.

For a full list of Oscar winners click on this link: